Thursday, June 16, 2016

New Things



New Things
            What a week!  I am working with the folks at Advanced Prosthetics in Greenville, SC to get a prosthetic leg.  The last little place on the surgical incision had finally healed so I could proceed to getting a leg fitted.  That entailed having a casting done of my leg so the socket for the prosthetic was a perfect fit.  Then the next day, I taped two interviews about sepsis and how it affected me.  Both TV stations did an excellent job and I was very pleased with how they handled it.

            On Saturday, we picked up four new ducks for our flock; a pair of muscovies and a pair of pekins.  The muscovies are now Albion (Al) and Boudicca (Boo).  The pekins are Ping (female) and Pong (male.)  We have them in a separate run from the other birds and we enjoy watching them when we are in the garden-- see there was a tie in to the garden!


Our four new ducks
Al is a mature male who we think was probably never able to socialize in a flock situation.  He has a wonderful time talking to my old geezers through the fence and even tries to fight.  Keep in mind that duck fights are not a situation when they hurt each other.  It's some feather pulling and a lot of posturing where they march side by side trying to convince the other guy that they are tougher.  Sometimes they wrestle until one proves himself stronger but I have never seen them hurt each other.  Mostly it's a lot of bluster.  Silly things.
            We built a shelter for them and they have a new pool to play in.   On a day like today, they were out taking turns soaking themselves in the water.  The muscovies are dominant but there is enough room in the run that the two pair do not come into conflict and are getting to know each other pretty well.
I know that some people don't care for muscovies, but I am partial to them because of their intelligence and character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment